Simplicity 1819 Part 7

By Tiffany - Thursday, August 15, 2013

Here are the final pieces of Simplicity 1819. Using fabric from an old shirt, I threw together the bustle pillow.

It's an interesting article of clothing. My sister stuffed the pillow and my mom sewed it shut, while I continued on with the costume.

Here is a look at the skirt with the pillow in place.

The pillow adds quite a bit of 'omph', don't you think? The skirt turned out quite well. I made a size 22 in the back and 20 in the front, which was my sister's original size. But, she lost enough weight that she was acutally a size 18 near the end! Not a big problem. I cut the waistband for a size 18 and just gathered the extra fabric where it gathers in the back.

I only lined the side cascades. I used black satin, so that they stand out and are noticeable with all the plaid. I also tacked them into place - the satin was slippery, so they weren't staying nice and folded. Now, they keep their shape.

The last piece of Simiplicity 1819 I made was the undershirt.

I made it in a very comfortable jersey that is close to my sister's skin colour. The plan is for her to wear another, slightly see-through or lacy blouse on top.

I graded it from a size 16 in the bust to a size 20 for the hips, as her measurements dictate, and it fit perfectly on the first try. I zig-zag stitched to finish the seams, since I didn't have my serger with me. Plus, trying to make this shirt last forever might be overkill. It is for a costume, afterall. Altough, it's comfy enough that might sister might start wearing it as a pajama top.

Well, those are the final sewing notes on Simplicity 1819. But, that is not it for the costume. More posts on my sister's Steampunk Plaid Costume Extraordinaire to come.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like


  1. Wow, that pillow definitely makes a difference! Can't wait to see the whole thing!